What's new

Qapla'!

Please sign up to post and contribute to this forum.

What other sci-fi material is out there that needs to be discovered?

QuantumLeaper

This is one of the most awesome sci-fi things I have ever seen!
The visuals, cinematography, acting, story, effects, all of it............. AWESOME!

wsi.trek

There are so many Sci-Fi movies on DUST YT channel. "FTL" is a good one.

Last edited:

wsi.trek

And for all total, crazy people, unfortunately only available in german, Ijon Tichy: Space Pilot. One of the best Sci-Fi "trash" movies with low, low, low, very low budget. With the wonderful, homemade, female robot "Analoge Halluzinelle", a hologram, played by the german actress Nora Tschirner.

Here a short description in english. => Ijon Tichy: Space Pilot - Wikipedia

One episode with subtitle in english

Attention, this is not normal! ;)

wsi.trek

How cool is this? If you haven't seen it and you have access to it, watch it. It's amazing.

Last edited:

wsi.trek

And this is one of my absolute, favorite movies. If you have a chance to watch it, do it.

Sweden do not have only a Borg :p

Last edited:

Tburg Scififan

I've been watching a lot of DUST of late. I find it a refreshing reminder of life beyond franchises, with unlimited creativity. The last one I watched was two astronauts doing a lunar survey looking for minerals. They drill into a hole and one falls into a buried ruin. In the ruin he finds human skulls. That's when reflected light penetrates the space helmet and you realize the astronaut is almond eye ALIEN. Pan to a crumbling poster stating "ALL HOPE IS LOST". All this in 15 minutes, and you sit pondering what you saw as the credits roll. It's worth getting addicted to DUST.

Father Cool

How cool is this? If you haven't seen it and you have access to it, watch it. It's amazing.
Its a great story this one, and unashamedly modelled on star trek.

It does have undertones of 'look how dorky star trek fans are, you should stay away from them' about it though.

Although the story is about a terribly insecure guy who uses his space fantasy to get what he wants, it kind of paints a picture that its saying 'guys who like space stuff are like this'. Whether thats what was intended or not, it comes across that way.

That said I loved the episode.

wsi.trek

Its a great story this one, and unashamedly modelled on star trek.

It does have undertones of 'look how dorky star trek fans are, you should stay away from them' about it though.

Although the story is about a terribly insecure guy who uses his space fantasy to get what he wants, it kind of paints a picture that its saying 'guys who like space stuff are like this'. Whether thats what was intended or not, it comes across that way.

That said I loved the episode.
Interesting, I haven't seen it like that before.

Question, do you think "The Big Bang Theory" has a similar undertone statement with the exception that the characters are not evil?

Last edited:

Father Cool

I suppose to a degree but the characters in that show are harmless enough and relatable. Although they are to the extreme in certain ways we can still see a bit of ourselves in them and laugh with them rather than at them.

With the Callisto the show seems to paint a different picture. It appears to be viewed more from the viewpoint of 'normal' people who view scifi nerds as a potentially dangerous threat. Although 'us' sci fi nerds can see the absurdity of the character I'm not so sure that none sci fi types can see the disparity.

wsi.trek

I suppose to a degree but the characters in that show are harmless enough and relatable. Although they are to the extreme in certain ways we can still see a bit of ourselves in them and laugh with them rather than at them.

With the Callisto the show seems to paint a different picture. It appears to be viewed more from the viewpoint of 'normal' people who view scifi nerds as a potentially dangerous threat. Although 'us' sci fi nerds can see the absurdity of the character I'm not so sure that none sci fi types can see the disparity.
I think I know what you mean but I'm not sure that this is an issue, for us adult. But it can be an issue for kids in school. Anyway, I mean kids will always find somthing to bully others, right?
I appreciate your concerns, as I said, I did not think about it in this way before.

Another point that came into my mind. I can imagine that some "nerds" do not like the movie because it ridicules the Enterprise and TOS in particular. The characters do not simply use the jelly bean buttons. They say, just click on anything, it's stupid anyway. But then, from my opinion it's only an issue for this kind of nerd who takes everything too seriously, like a Vulcan ;), withou any humor.

It might be interesting what the producers were intended and what kind of "nerds" they are?!

However, thank you for the other perspective. It's always good to think twice.

Father Cool

I agree, however we may consider ourselves adult and I certainly like to think we are, other people of advanced age are certainly not mentally. Social media tells us this every day, there seems to be more immature behaviour from the 'adults' than the kids sometimes!!

The point being we come from a demographic where sci fi is considered escapist, fun and quite often thought provoking, opening up questions about us and the universe around us. Not everyone is like this (hard to believe I know right?). They only consider what they know, the things that they see on reality shows and social media and see anything that edges towards fantasy and fiction as nonesense and childish. I have friends with wives like this.

Episodes of Black mirror like Callisto just reinforce these thoughts and actually create a divide between their percieved 'normal' behaviour and our 'childish, nerdy and abnormal' tendencies.

Its all nonsense of course but there none the less.

I personally had no issue with the episode par se. I found it a good story, amusing and the characters interesting, but did wonder what the 'normal' folk would think of it.

It would be interesting to hear the produces/writers point of view.

Top Bottom